logo
Dwelling Insurance
Renter's Insurance
Home Insurance
About Hanover
 
Home Fire Prevention Theft Prevention Contact Us Agent login
      Call Center: 1-800-919-FIRE
Reduce the chances of fire. By following some simple steps, you can save your property.
And your life.

 

firefighters

Unattended cooking is the leading cause of kitchen fires. Stay nearby at all times when cooking, even with microwave ovens.

Do not toss wet foods into deep-fat fryers or frying pans containing hot grease or oil. The violent reaction between the fat and water will splatter hot oil.

If a pan of food catches fire, carefully slide a lid over the pan and turn off the burner. It is dangerous to attempt to carry the pan to the sink.

In microwave ovens, use only containers designed for microwave use. Let microwave-cooked foods or liquids cool before carefully removing their covers.

Give space heaters space. Make sure to move anything that can burn - including furniture, clothing, people, and pets - at least three feet (one meter) from any heater, fireplace or woodstove, as well as, from the home’s furnace.

Use safety plugs in electrical outlets, especially if you have small children.

Avoid overloading electrical outlets and running cords under carpet and furniture.

If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.

Keep matches and lighters away from children.

Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old, or damaged appliance cords immediately.